Although December was a bit of a write off, fly fishing for Winter rainbows can be some of the most exhilarating of the year as Winter fish are strong and hard fighting. Rainbows thrive in cold well oxygenated water.
Here of my top 5 tips for Winter fly fishing:
- Invest in some Neoprene gloves they are cheap and keep your hands warm when they are wet!
- Make sure you are fishing during the warmest part of the day (around 1pm) as this is likely to be when fish are most active.
- Don’t just stick to the patterns you have been using all Summer – experiment!
- Make sure you have a variety of lines from fast sinking to floating so you can try different depths (especially on deeper reservoirs the fish could be well down.
- Try fishing on the edge of the ice – all fish love cover and fish may well be holding on the edge of the ice.