Free Video River Fly Fishing Course
20+ instructional videos, shot in 4k. Free to all new and existing newsletter subscribers – Click Here!
Fly fishing for Winter rainbows can be some of the most exhilarating of the year as Winter fish are strong and hard fighting. Rainbows thrive in cold well-oxygenated water.
Here of my top 5 tips for Winter fly fishing:
- Invest in some Neoprene gloves they are cheap and keep your hands warm when they are wet!
- Make sure you are fishing during the warmest part of the day (around 1pm) as this is likely to be when fish are most active.
- Fish slow and low, the fish won’t be chasing their food.
- Make sure you have a variety of lines from fast sinking to floating so you can try different depths (especially on deeper reservoirs the fish could be well down.
- Try fishing on the edge of the ice – all fish love cover and fish may well be holding on the edge of the ice.